Watter, Michael (Dr.)
Place & Date of Birth: Riga, Latvia - 3 August 1899
Occupation or Position:
- Project Engineer, Glen L. Martin, Co.
- Senior Research Staff Member, Institute for Defense Analyses
- Director Airframe Research, The Budd Company
Clubs & Societies:
- Formerly member of Society of Automotive Engineers,
- Past Representative of the Society of Automotive Engineers,
- Member of the Fire Prevention Committee of the National Fire Protection Association
Pilot Rating: Pilot since 1934
Military Rank: Lieutenant Commander, USNR
College Education and Degrees:
- Imperial Technical College - Moscow, 1916-1920
- Polytechnic Institute of Kiev, Russia, 1916-1920
- Royal Polytechnic Institute - Turin, Italy - 1920-1921
- Doctor of Engineering - 1921
- Completed postdoctoral course, "Course of Perfection in Aeronautical Constructions," leading to degree of Aeronautical Constructor.
Activities and Connections:
1961 - Present (1964)
INSTITUTE FOR DEFENSE ANALYSES - Washington, D.C.
Member, Senior Resarch Staff
1939-1961 THE BUDD COMPANY
1956 - 1961- Director Airframe Research
This activity intended to exploit The Budd Company’s experience in the field of efficient structures using materials suitable for aerospace applications. The materials suitable for aerospance applications. The department was built around a nucleus of Budd engineers with aircraft background; special testing facilities and experimental fabrication equipment were designed and built within the organization. The results of research were new concepts of aerospace structures and rocket motor cases, methods of of their fabrication; new approach to automatic welding; and it spurred the development by steel companies of the xtra high strength stainless steel.
1923 - 1931 CHANCE VOUGHT CORPORATION
Long Island City, NY
Chief Design Engineer in charge of Design and Technical Depts.
1921 - 1923 CURTISS AEROPLANE AND MOTOR CORPORATION
Garden City, NY
Aeronautical Engineer, Department of Aerodynamics and Research
References to biographies published:
Published books, articles reports:
A total of about 30 articles which appeared in Aviation, Aero Digest, The Annals of the American Academy for Political & Social Science, Safety Counsel Publication and Journal of Aeronautical Sciences
- "VITA OF MICHAEL WATTER" March 3, 1964
- Directory of Aeronautical Engineering of the Institute of Aeronautical Sciences, N.Y.